Sunday, March 11, 2012

Lord Buddha was a wise man

'The evils of the body are murder, theft, and adultery; of the tongue, lying, slander, abuse, and idle talk; of the mind, covetousness, hatred, and error.'  Buddha

An apropos quote to start this musing off.

Recently I had overheard a few 'colleagues' speaking less than kindly about me (the ringleader of this group is one who frequently needs my assistance with various things - guess who just shot themselves in the foot.)... the comments I overheard ranged from patent lies  'she spends all day surfing on the internet, even when the students are in the class' to unflattering personal opinions 'last year we had a good teacher in that position, now we have  her.'  I was even so lucky as to hear that I have said I am a better teacher than the previous one.  (NEVER crossed these lips!  I did say that based on testing the students are weak in certain areas - but I NEVER attributed to someone else's not teaching them these items.)

Basically, all evils of the tongue were employed in the overheard conversation.  Now I understand how evil of the mind and envy could lead some people to commit evils of the tongue as these same evils of the tongue are making me commit an evil of the mind - hatred - and fantasizing about torture and the first evil of the body!

I am angry.  I am annoyed.

I mean really these are supposedly colleagues and professionals.  FINE, you have an opinion of me.  Fine you discuss your opinion with like minded people, BUT I draw the line at outright lying and false statements!

I DO NOT internet while my students are in class.  I teach my backside off.  I spend my breaks and lunch hours marking and or editing student work.  I plan entire terms out BEFORE they start.  IF testing shows a deficiency in previous learning or student recall - I REWORK the rest of the term to address this!!

I wonder why people are so small minded and petty.  If you have an issue / problem with me wouldn't talking to me about it be the grown up thing to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment