Sunday, May 20, 2012

Gender Neutrality and Equality - Yay Right, not here!

There are rumors that ALL individuals that work for this company and live in company housing will be moved to a standard size apartment.  YAY!  If I was staying I would have finally been moved to an appropriate sized apartment for a professional.  (Some members of staff are a bit upset as they see it as a downgrade.)

When I was chatting the the manager in charge of the school I said this is a positive development for those of us in the "ghetto" apartments.

The manager paled, looked uncomfortable and told me that those of us in the "ghetto" will stay in the "ghetto" as that is all we are entitled to because of our martial status.

I replied to the gentle man well, how come, if we have to be in the "ghetto" we don't all get moved to the "ghetto 2"?  The "ghetto2" is also slated for this particular marital status and there is currently a member of staff, with the same marital status as those of us in "the ghetto", living there AND said member has had the "ghetto 2" written in to their contract.

Well, it seems that the "ghetto 2" is more expensive as it has no washing machines and there is an included housekeeping service.  Females PREFER to do their own laundry and housework that is why the females are in the "ghetto", not "ghetto 2".

I told the gentleman that I was NEVER asked what I preferred.

He looked further pained and made an excuse to leave.

Just a bit of Gender discrimination going on.

In the same vein, a single female teacher who is also a local national has a 3 bedroom family sized apartment.  I was told this is because she has children.  To which I replied, yes GROWN children who do not live with her. Again, that pained express of "oh, oh I have been caught in my own deception, best pretend I don't understand what is being said to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment