Friday, January 13, 2012

at the dentist....

I am lucky I have a good dentist here in Korea, and his English is really good so I feel very comfortable having work done.  I also feel comfortable because he did all his training in North America so the treatments are familiar to me.  I FINALLY, after 5+ years, had a dental implant installed - and it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be, nor painful in anyway!

But that is a completely different discussion.  I like this dentist so much I introduced a friend to him and my friend is having a significant amount of work done (at a reasonable price).  My friend isn't comfortable driving to these appointments - not knowing exactly what will be happening at each and how they might make her feel, so I accompany her and drive her car.  While she is in having her procedure I sit in the VERY public waiting room and read.  I am quite content as it forces me to take a bit of 'down time'.

Today was a particularly busy day for the dentist and I used the time to surreptitiously people watch.  A young woman was waiting for her friend to complete her treatment and it was the most interesting bit of people watching I have done in awhile.

After the treatment was complete they sat in the waiting room for more than 30 minutes.  The young woman who had undergone the treatment spent roughly 20 minutes reapplying her make up - from foundation up - right there in the waiting room - not the public restrooms 20 feet from the dentist office. The next 10 minutes were spent with this young lady applying makeup to her friend - again in the waiting room.  AFTER the make up they both needed to apply spray perfume and then they left.

I was stunned.  Lipstick maybe, an entirely new 'face'... isn't that more appropriate for a slightly less public venue?   I wished I had my camera with me.... oh well, maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment