Sunday, April 5, 2015

improvements, one step at a time...

Easter Sunday here in the Big Sandy and I had a physio therapy session today.

My post Operative goals for the first 6 weeks were: by the end of week 2 bending to 40 degrees, end of week 4 bending to 60 degrees, and the end of week 6 bending to 90 degrees.

Today was 6 weeks and 2 days post op - I was bending to 110 degrees!!!

Big milestones in my therapy are things like full weight bearing, no crutches, no brace, straight leg lifts, functional quadricep muscles (no driving a vehicle without those!), pedalling on a stationary bike, having a bath, having a shower.... all fairly mundane things but huge steps in my recovery.

I've been full weight bearing for a couple of weeks now; crutch and brace free (using a cane when I am outside my apartment) for 10 days (bath was achieved at 9 days post op and shower was achieved at 5 weeks). ALL big steps to independence and knee health.

I have not been able to activate my quadriceps successfully  - until today. (big grin).  Today I was able to contract my quads (I still have good, strong muscle contractions) while seated in a chair and with effort straighten my lower leg and raise it to a 45 degree angle!  This is huge.  I managed to do 10, slow, steady lower leg raises!!!!  WOOO HOOO!!!!!

Today was also a big step in the bending department in only 7 days I have gone from 95 degrees (with tension and some discomfort) to 110 degrees (much less tension and decreased discomfort!).  This increased Range of Motion (ROM) meant I was able to get full forward rotation on the pedals of the stationary bike (and while pedalling my ROM was closer to 115 degrees).  My knee is still tight so no stationary bike at home this week and a retry next week during physio MIGHT mean I am cleared to stationary bike at home 10 - 15 minutes a day.  This biking will help restore my poor atrophied quads, lubricate my hip and knee joints, and  move that step closer to functional quads (and independence!)

I am super pleased that things are going well.

It is easy to get frustrated and down when something as simple and mundane as getting yourself a cup of coffee ( difficult to carry while on crutches) or rolling over in bed (atrophied quads make this a difficulty) are big challenges.  But, remembering that each day is a bit better than the last and, in my case, I have been there / done this only a few months ago when I "kicked butt and didn't take prisoners" on that recovery so, I can do this again (pfft, no biggie).

No comments:

Post a Comment